Forsaking My Love

I hate you

I wish to tear you away from me

This tumor that clings to my chest

The thing that makes me ache

That haunts my dreams

And tears at my desires

You have brought me only pain

My untamed heart

That beast that gnaws at my soul

That pitifully whines

Bringing my mind into unwanted pain

Yet how can I blame you

How can I chastise you when I listen intently to your pleas

Why should I punish you for what my eyes feed upon

How can I blame my eyes for falling upon her

She who brings light to the eternal darkness of my soul

She whose eyes bring me to subjection

Whose smile leaves me in awe

How can I blame you when my ears are met with her laughter

How they submerge into her song

How they quiver at her voice

Why should I punish you for inclining my soul

Tempting it with the one sense that has been forsaken by her

How could I look over the thought of the brushing of lips

The touching of hands

The binding of the soul, mind, and body

O you wretched heart

What am I to do with this constant companion

How could I tear you away

When she is the cause of my agony

Or rather

It is the lack of her which brings me sorrow

It is the need for her that leaves my heart in pain

Yet she is not mine

She was never mine

She will never be mine

O my poor heart

How can I make you see reason

When all you do is show me the truth


 Michael Silver